- Oversee guards charged with protecting lives of all beach-goers
- Respond and provide support for water rescues, medical emergencies and any requests from lifeguards, 911 calls or direct requests for assistance.
- Ensure maximum participation of lifeguards for optimum staffing
- Make corrective personnel actions
- Execute VBLS policy implementation, enforcement and regulatory compliance
- Assist with facility and equipment care taking and maintenance
- Act as a mentor for lifeguards
- Promote the Agency and city in a positive manner
- Minimum of a High School Diploma or GED
- Must be at least 18 years of age at time of hire
- EMT-B Certification or higher
- Minimum of Two Seasons Experience of Surf Lifesaving
- Current or extended past non-surf lifesaving emergency medical experience (fire or rescue) &/or Professional Medical Experience (Medical Doctor or Nurse) highly recommended.
- Successful completion of a 500 meter or 550 yard swim in 10 Minutes or less
- Successful completion of a 1 mile run in 8:30
The purpose of Virginia Beach Lifesaving Service, Incorporated is to prevent and reduce injuries, accidents, and fatalities at the ocean front in its guarded areas. VBLS does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, disabilities, gender, sexual orientation or age except where there is a bona fide occupational qualification consideration reasonably necessary to the normal duties of the job.